- Hon. B.A. Recreation, University of Waterloo
- Masters of Business Administration, York University (Schulich School of Business)
- Honourary Diploma in Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism (Humber College)
- CMM III designation - Ontario Municipal Management Institute
Senior Management and Leadership Positions
President, GDH Solutions (2006-present): Sole proprietor in planning and management consulting firm specializing in providing services to government, not-for-profit, and private sector organizations engaged in the parks, recreation, sport, active living, and culture sectors.
Director of the Sport and Recreation Branch, Ministry of Tourism and Recreation and Ministry of Health Promotion, Ontario (2003-2006): Responsible for policy development for all matters relating to sport and recreation at the provincial government level. Led the development of Cabinet Submissions for several major initiatives.
Commissioner of Community Services, City of Vaughan (1985-2003): Responsibility for all aspects of parks, recreation, arts & culture, heritage, archives, capital projects, transit and non-profit housing. Initiated, oversaw, and directed the implementation of the parks, recreation and culture master plan; several facility feasibility studies; departmental reviews and re-structuring of parks and facilities operations.
Manager, Recreation Centres, City of Toronto (1980-1985): Responsible for the operation of 23 community recreation centres.
Project Management Experience
- Extensive Project Management experience in Strategic Plans, Master Plans, Feasibility Studies and Parks & Recreation Facility development.
Research and Evaluation
- Extensive research, evaluation and analysis of marine recreation facilities historic waterfront uses, significant heritage sites
- Environmental scan, review and analysis of parks and recreation organizational structures across Canada.
- Research on trends in parks, recreation, and culture nationally and internationally
- Research and evaluation of municipal Special Event Plans across Canada
- Researched Promising Practices for Arts and Culture Plans across Canada
- Reviewed the level of federal and provincial infrastructure funding for parks and recreation in Ontario, in relation to identified needs
Strategic and Business Planning
- Led the Peachland Chamber of Commerce and the Peachland Economic Development Committee in the development of their first Strategic Plans
- Developed an Arts & Cultural Services Plan and Implementation Strategies for Township of Langley; the Village of Lumby and RDNO Area D & E; and the City of Revelstoke
- Prepared a business plan for Vancouver Park Board for the Olympic/Paralympic recreation facility, post Olympics
- Developed Parks, Recreation and Culture Master Plans with HB Lanarc for Columbia Shuswap Regional District and the City of Revelstoke; and District of West Kelowna
- Completed an Outdoor Events Strategic Plan for the City of Kelowna
- Led the development of the City of Vaughan's Strategic Plan (the Vaughan Vision), and coordinated the implementation of the Business Plan
- Chair, Leisure Information Network
- Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Canadian Fitness and Lifestyle Research Institute (2008-2013)
- Chair, Federal-Provincial/Territorial Committee on Physical Activity (2003-2006).
- Represented Ontario on the Inter-Provincial Sport and Recreation Committee (2003-2006).
- Director, Canadian Parks and Recreation Association (2000-2004).
Professional Associations, Boards & Committees
- Canadian Parks and Recreation Association and the British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association
- Board Member, Kelowna Yacht Club
- Past Chair, Peachland Economic Development Committee (Council Appointee)
- Past Vice-President Peachland Chamber of Commerce
- Past Chair of the Humber College Recreation Industry Advisory Committee